Burnley ease to victory over Swansea


Burnley eased to a 2-0 victory over struggling Swansea on Saturday afternoon at Turf Moor thanks to first half goal from Jack Cork and Ashley Barnes.

Matthew Lowton nearly puts the ball through his own net on eight minutes after a low Martin Olsson cross from the right.

Burnley could have been ahead on 13 minutes as Lukasz Fabianski fluffed his lines misplacing his kick straight to the feet of Steven Defour before the Polish keeper recovered well to keep out his strike from range.

As the Clarets started to up the tempo they were inches away from taking the lead three minutes later as Olsson nearly flicked Robbie Brady’s corner into the back of his own net only for Fabianski to spur his blushes diving to his left claiming the loose ball.

It was all Clarets pressure as Fabianski kept out a Barnes header from point blank range after Brady’s cross has sailed over the Swansea defence.

Sean Dyche will have been pleased from what he saw from his team as they created another good opportunity on 26 minutes when Jack Cork linked up with Defour before he played in Barnes however the strikers shot was well blocked by Kyle Naughton.

However, Burnley did take the lead on 29 minutes as Cork headed in a Brady cross rising above Naughton in the process the former Swansea midfielder refusing to celebrate against his old club.

Ten minutes later it was two for the home side as Barnes scored his first Premier League goal of the season after Jeff Hendrick played him through before his powerful shot beat Fabianski at his near post to send Turf Moor into raptures of noise.

Swansea has their first chance of the game on the stroke of halftime as Renato Sanches was played in at the back post before his effort deflected of James Tarkowski and sailed wide of Nick Popes goal.

Dyche’s side started the second half very much on top as Brady was played through by Johann Berg Gudmundsson was denied by a last-ditch tackle by Federico Fernandez before he could get a strike away on goal.

As the Clarets dominated they should have had a third on 51 minutes as Hendrick latched onto a long ball from Pope but his effort was well saved by Fabianski who was keeping the Swans hopes of a comeback alive with some superb saves.

However, the Swans should have pulled a goal back as Tammy Abraham was played through by Wilfried Bony but the on-loan Chelsea forward fired the ball over the bar when he should have hit the target.

Paul Clements side should have pulled a goal back on 58 minutes as Leroy Fer crossed for Bony but he fired wide from six yards out when he really should have forced a save out of Pope.

It was the Swans who were applying the pressure in the second half, but Burnley were always comfortable the Welsh side however had a good opportunity on 70 minutes as Sanches lashed a free-kick wide of the target.

Lowton was then to come to the Clarets rescue as he made a goal saving tackle as Bony latched onto a loose pass from Ben Mee he played the ball to Sanches who then saw his effort blocked by the sliding Lowton.

A real moment of concern was then to follow for the Jacks as Abraham was stretched off after looking to injure his hip after firing over a shot on 83 minutes.

Burnley were then to have a third goal disallowed for offside after Tarkowski met a corner from Brady his header hit the bar before the ball fell back to him and he bundled it into the net only to see the offside flag cut his celebrations short.

Barnes was then close to adding his second in added time as he bundled his way through the Swansea defence before his effort was blocked at the last minute by Alfie Mawson.

In the final piece of action Swansea could have pulled a goal back as Bony met a Sam Clucas cross perfectly only to direct it straight into the hands of Pope.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here