Feyenoord hold Manchester City in Youth League


City v FeyenoordFeyenoord Under 19s held Manchester City to a 0-0 draw in the Uefa Youth League at the Academy Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

It was the Dutch side who started the better creating the first chance after six minutes when Wouter Burger was played in by Rodney Huijgen but his low shot was well saved by Curtis Anderson in the Blues goal.

Manchester City who have already qualified for the last 16 were missing key players Phil Foden and Brahim Diaz who were involved with the first team thought they had taken the lead minutes after as Lorenzo Gonzalez played Benjamin Garre through on goal, but he flashed his effort wide of the target.

It was Feyenoord who were playing the better football and should have been ahead on 23 minutes as Dylan Vente slipped a defence splitting pass into Orkun Kokcu but before he could should he was denied by a goal saving challenge from Joel Laitbeaudiere.

Simon Davies side were then to suffer a big blow as they lost Rabbi Matondo due to injury after he clashed with Noah Lewis at the heart of the Feyenoord defence.

It was then the turn of visiting keeper Justin Biljow who has featured for the Feyenoord first team to come to the rescue as he made a fine save with his feet to keep out Garre as he connected perfectly with a low Sadou Diallo cross from the right only for the fine reactions of the keeper to keep it out.

On the stroke of half time it was the City stopper who was forced into action as he sprung to his left to tip a powerful Achraf El Bouchataoui effort around the post.

The second half started just as the first ended with the Dutch side applying pressure as Kokcu latched on to a pass from Huijgen before his low effort sailed across the face of goal and wide when if on target they would have surely gone into the lead.

Garre was impressing for City and it was he who had the next chance on 61 minutes when he met a Taylor Richard’s cross perfectly but flicked his header over the crossbar when he should have hit the target.

With poor weather conditions the game was being played at a frantic pace but with the pitch becoming slippery there was more room for a mistake and this is exactly what happened as Ian Smeulers lost his footing on the edge of the area giving Gonzalez a free shot on goal but his lashed it over the crossbar when he should have tested the keeper.

Feyenoord then had claims for a penalty turned away on 82 minutes as Vente linked up with Burger before he was challenged by Ash Kigbu but referee Kevin Clancy turned down the protests.

It was the Dutch side who thought they had won it on 85 minutes as it was that man Kokcu once again as he skipped around the City defence but dragged his effort wide of goal.

It was City who had the final opportunity of the match when Richards raced through but his effort was superbly kept out by Bijlow as he pushed the strike over the top of the crossbar to earn his team a point.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here