Daily Sport

Bookmark us · Thursday, 14th December 2017

View: Target.com Coupons

Murphy destroys Gill in 1st at Camden

Posted on by Grant Miller

Last night Mickey Helliet’s Hellraiser Promotions put on an other sell-out evening of boxing at London’s Camden Centre where top of the “Collision Course” bill was Ben Murphy defending his Southern Area Lightweight title against Phil Gill. Going into this Gill had not lost a fight in 14 with a record of 12 wins and 2 draws but the stocky powerhouse that is Ben Murphy came of swinging from the 1st bell and caught Gill cold and proved too strong with the ref Jeff Hinds calling a halt to the action at 2.35 of the 1st. Great TKO win for Murphy and an unlucky Gill was obviously dejected after suffering his first defeat.

Kent Light-Heavy Dan Woodgate wiped out the victor in  his solitary loss when he stopped Sam Couzens in 3 rounds. The first was a pretty even affair and then Woodgate started to open up in the second rocking Couzens towards then end of the round with the bell saving him. Woodgate went to work well in the 3rd with ref Mark Green calling a halt to the action after Couzens got caught with a raft of punches.

Another cracker was the first fight of the night which was a Lightweight contest between Ben Day and Latvian Olafs Sirmanis. Euston based Day had a great deal of support at the Camden Centre and got off to a good start in the first which was a pretty even affair. In the second the Latvian came of swinging and Day got dropped taking an 8 count. In the 3rd Day got back to his game plan dropping Sirmanis 3 times before ref mark Green had seen enough and waved it off. Great TKO win for Day who is now 3-0.

Local Light-Welter hero Charlie Rice made short work of his second pro fight by beating Latvian Ivans Levickis in 3 rounds dropping the Latvian in the 3rd.

Results in brief – Welterweight Llyod Ellett made in 4 for 4 beating Liam Griffiths 40-35 over 4 rounds with Griffiths getting a point deducted in the second for holding continually. Light-Welter Liam Shinkwin beat Ibrar Riayz over 4 rounds 39-37 after the pair drew in their last meeting. Last on the bill saw Middleweight Elliott Matthews stop Latvia’s Latvian Aleksandrs Radjuks in 1.55 of the 1st round after dropping the Latvian who didn’t want to continue ref Mark Green had no option but to call it off.

Daily Sport says – All in all a great nights boxing as always at a packed Camden Centre.

This entry was posted in Boxing, Sport and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>