Swifts claim first victory of the season


Dungannon Swifts picked up their first win of the season with a 1-0 victory over Ards who’s winless run extends to four games at the Bangor Fuels Arena on a rainy Friday evening.

Ards created the first chance of the game inside fifteen minutes as Jonny Frazer played in Gary Liggett but the former Dungannon Swifts forward took a heavy touch before he could get a shot away on goal.

The home side should have been ahead several minutes later as Guillaume Keke pick pocketed Peter McMahon but his attempted chip was easily saved by Stuart Addis in the Swifts goal from just outside the box.

Colin Nixon’s side were creating the better chances and frustrating the Swifts as the visitors were struggling to break down the stubborn Ards back four.

The Red and Blue army were a whisker away from taking the lead as Gary Liggett saw his low effort well dealt with by Addis diving at the striker’s feet.

Paul McIlroy created the first chance for the Swifts on 32 minutes as he hit a low effort from range however it was well dealt with by Aaron Hogg in the Ards goal low to his right.

McMahon could have put Rodney McAree’s side ahead on 43 minutes as the impressive McMahon skipped past the home sides defence before his effort lacked power and was comfortably saved at the near post by Hogg.

It was Nixon’s side who started the second half on top as Johnny Frazer beat the challenges down the right before his cross found Liggett the striker was denied however by the legs of Addis who was keeping the Swifts in the game.

Minutes later it should have been 1-0 for the home side as that man Frazer danced around the Swifts defence once again before his cross was volleyed inches wide by the onrushing Gareth Tommon’s.

Dungannon could have gone ahead on the hour mark as Ryan Harpur saw his free-kick deflect away of the Ards wall when he really should have hit the target from just outside the area midway through the second half.

McMahon was impressing the supporters with his trickery and he created yet another opening for the side kitted out in all yellow as he fired over the crossbar from six yards out when he really should have tested Hogg.

The home side were then reduced to ten men as David Elebert on his debut was shown a second yellow card after making a clumsy foul on Ryan Mayse just outside the area.

From the resulting free-kick the Swifts took the lead as Douglas Wilson saw his effort deflect of the wall before beating Hogg.

Dungannon should have sealed the victory on 83 minutes as McMahon unleased a powerful effort from outside the box before he saw his shot rattle the crossbar from eight yards out.

McAree’s side were taking advantage of the extra man and they should have grabbed their second as Mayse lashed his effort wide from just inside the area after Ards had failed to clear the danger from a low cross from the left.

Dungannon Swifts were lucky to be ending the game with eleven men on the pitch as Seanan Clucas jumped in off the ground with his feet raised but the referee Arnold Hunter opted for a yellow instead of a red.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here