Toms stops Weiss inside 2 rounds

Olivia Goodwin presented a cracking card with 2 Southern Area title fights at York Hall last night and with a few early stoppages it was an early night for fight fans with the 10 card show all over by 9.30pm.

First up on the bill was Kent Cruiser Leon Senior against Lithuanian Vygaudas Laurinkus over 4 rounds Senior started strong from the off and cruised to victory on points 40-36.

Next up saw local Middleweight Lee Markham in a 4 rounder with Nottingham’s Gilson de Jesus the first 2 rounds were an pretty even affair with the 3rd turning into a war and 4th a close one and ref Ken Curtis scored Markham the winner 39-38.

There 2 guys making their debut into the pro ranks on the card and both bouts ended in the 1st with Super-Middle Alan Higgins stopping Emmanuel Moussinga in 2 minutes with ref Rob Williams calling a halt to the action much to the protests of Moussinga who was taking a real pounding from the Kentish Town prospect. The next to make his debut was local Super-Middle Kevin Greenwood who had been fighting on the IBA unlicensed circuit but Biggleswade’s Jamie Boness proved too strong hammering his way to a 0.26 TKO victory.

Joint top of the bill for the vacant Southern Area Light-Middle title was Thamesmead’s Nathan Weiss 8-2-2, 2 KO’s against Northolt’s Ryan Toms 10-2-1, 5 KO’s  the pair met last November and the bout was declared a draw but this time Toms came our firing on all cylinders and had Weiss down twice in the first with the bell saving him, round 2 went from bad to worse for Weiss with Toms jumping on him from  the off and having him down again for an 8 count before ref Rob Williams had seen enough and called a halt at 1.23 of the second. Toms now the new Southern Area champ.

The other joint headliner was Former British Cruiserweight champ Leon ‘Solid’ Williams against current Southern Area Cruiserweight champ and local hero Tony Conquest, the bout started fast with Conquest on top from the off and having Williams down in the opening minute, Williams never recovered and ref Ken Curtis called a halt to the action a great TKO win by Conquest to retain his belt.

Making his UK debut was 11-0 Ghanaian Lightweight Richard Commey against Lithuanian Simas Volosinas the classy Commy started fast and looked every bit the ‘Real Deal’ winning the opener comfortably, he was even more successful in the 2nd with Volosinas ending the round with a bloody nose, the Lithuanian took more punishment in the 3rd before ref Ken Curtis had seen enough. So great 3rd round victory for Commey making it 12-0.

Brixton heavyweight Ian Lewison made his debut for Goodwin Promotions having just signed a promotional deal with them. Lewison was up against Istvan Ruzsinszky from Hungary over 4 rounds. Lewison took command from the off and cruised to shutout points victory 40-36. Another heavyweight on the bill Dillian ‘The Villian’ Whyte made it 7-0 as a pro with a 2nd round TKO victory over Gabor Farkas with the Hungarians corner throwing in the towel after he went down from a barrage of big shots. Official time 1.43 of the second.

Last but not least Brentwood Middleweight Joe Mullender made it 2-0 with a cracking points win over 6 rounds against Paul Morby 60-54, I down know how Morby managed to keep taking the punishing body shots from Mullender but all credit to him.

Daily Sport says – All in all a good show with some cracking fights and the talented Commey will I’m sure have trouble finding opponents here in the UK.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *